I am a Banking and Insurance graduate from India with 7.5 years of banking experience. I wish to pursue a combined MS and PhD in the SBE field. Do universities in the US fund such PhDs? By the way, I am on an H4 visa.


Yes, U.S. universities often fund these Ph.D. positions, though my sense is that there are fewer funded positions than in STEM fields. It would be very rare for a MS to be funded, as far as I know, and often opportunities for teaching assistantships (funding through teaching classes to (usually) undergraduates) are reserved for people in doctoral programs as opposed to master's programs.

Also, usually I hear these fields referred to as "social science," with the NSF being the only entity I associate with the term "SBE".

  • Thanks a lot. Can you point some "social science" disciplines that are more in demand than others? I was thinking about psychology.
    – user65003
    Apr 24 '18 at 0:50
  • @user65003 In the context of your question, I believe you should decide your field of study based on what you're most knowledgeable and passionate about, rather than what's in demand. Funded graduate study usually requires a lot of demonstrated potential for doing research in that specific field. Apr 24 '18 at 4:35
  • If I were to apply for a combined MS phd, would the intake for both of these be separate? Or acceptance to the MS equals acceptance to the phd program?
    – user65003
    Apr 25 '18 at 0:34
  • Acceptance to a master's program would almost never imply acceptance to the PhD program in U.S. social science programs I've heard about. (Usually you'd apply to the master's program, then afterwards apply to a lot of places for Ph.D. programs, or you would apply directly to a Ph.D. program, and potentially (maybe) get a related master's degree on the way to the Ph.D. For instance if you're in an Econ Ph.D. program, there may be an opportunity to get a Sociology Master's degree based on additional coursework.) Apr 25 '18 at 2:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.