There is a short term course in the USA in August I really want to attend. It's a 1 week training at the University of Minnesota. However, I'm not going to enroll as a student at the university.

May I use the B1 visa to do so? Has anyone been in a similar situation?


I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice, but my understanding is that B1 visas are typically the right visa for academic conferences and similar events. See this document from the US government, particularly the entries on “Conference, meeting, trade show, or business event attendee” and “training.”

| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks @Noah ! You are right. I found (in Vietnam) a guy who attended the last year edition of this training. He used the B1 visa. So, for this very specific situation the B1 visa applies. – Gilmar Neves Apr 5 '18 at 19:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.