I am a Fine Artist, and art historians have discussed my work in conference papers... how would I cite these papers on my CV? Would I include them under "Publications", as I do catalogs, books and art reviews of my work, or should it be under a separate heading? Also, if someone discusses my work in a Master's Thesis, is it appropriate to list that as well?

  • 1
    Perhaps list them under a heading of "Contributions to published work" with a description of each piece? – astronat Apr 3 '18 at 21:45
  • 2
    They aren't your publications, which is what people assume(?)to be inside any sections that say 'publications' etc. However, they show the significant external impact of your work and I would list them under a section that is labeled something like that (Evidence of External impact)?. It clearly points out it is other people writing papers, reviews, including your work in their scholarship which I assume is a big deal for someone reading your CV. – Carol Apr 3 '18 at 22:28
  • 2
    This probably needs input from someone in your field. In most academic disciplines, a CV should only include works authored by you - it would never include works authored by other people that are about you. Perhaps art is special in this regard, but we would need someone who knows the practices of this field. – Nate Eldredge Apr 4 '18 at 0:05
  • Are you going to use this CV to apply to a university position? Otherwise I am afraid that this question is off-topic here. – Federico Poloni Oct 6 '19 at 11:54

Looking at some example guidelines on fine arts resumes, it seems that one's "publications" or "bibliography" is handled quite differently than in the STEM world, being a collection of things written about you rather than things that you have written.

As such, the particular venue of publication should not matter: a conference article about your work goes in the same general section as an art review. Now, if you've got a lot of these, you might choose to organize into subsections to make it easier to see the most significant publications, but that's a refinement rather than a high-level guideline.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.