I am currently considering offers for non-tenure track teaching-oriented positions (full-time, multi-year contracts) and wanted to get advice on whether to take the offer now, or wait another cycle to apply again for tenure-track positions. My ideal job would be a tenure-track position with a better balance of research and teaching responsibilities.
When I graduated from my PhD program two years ago, I had a tenure track offer but decided to decline because I wanted to experience what it was like to work in industry. However, I quickly found I missed academia (the agency, the ability to contribute new knowledge, working directly with students) and decided to try to return to academia after working for a year.
However, I think my lack of recent publications during the time I was working in industry hurt my job prospects, and the only offers I currently have are for non-tenure track (all worse offers in terms of both salary and start-up package than the tenure-track offer I had two years ago). The industry job I currently have is not research oriented and would not afford me the opportunity to publish the work that I do day-to-day.
I worry that the teaching responsibilities of a non-tenure track position (6 classes a year) will make it difficult for me to devote time to doing substantial research. At the same time, being in a university will provide facilities as well as students to be in a better position to do research in whatever time I may have outside of teaching. I'm also concerned that staying in my current industry position will not improve my chances during the next application cycle as I am not doing publishable work.
Should I take the teaching position and just do my best to publish and keep my eyes out for a future tenure track position? Or is there another option I haven't thought of?