4

I'm currently halfway though my interviews for tenure-track computer science faculty positions in the US. I've been offered a really great postdoc opportunity. I want to take up the postdoc and defer the start date of my faculty position by a year.

The trouble is that the postdoc wants a definite answer from me soon and they have said that I should get approval from the places where I have interviews. I feel like it is premature to discuss deferring an offer before I even have one. Potentially it will look bad.

How do I delicately raise this issue with the places I am interviewing at? Or should I simply accept the postdoc and deal with the deferral problem later if and when it arises? I assume this situation is pretty common and someone can tell me how this is usually dealt with.

  • R1 or undergraduate schools? – BeauGeste Feb 23 '18 at 18:57
  • @BeauGeste I'm interviewing at research-focused departments. – user88034 Feb 23 '18 at 19:01
2

It's normal and good to tell places you're interviewing about any deadlines you face, that way they have the opportunity to move up their decision process in response. If I were you I would tell the places you're interviewing something like

I have a deadline to decide on a postdoc offer at location X by date Y. If I accept their offer I would still be very interested in taking a job at your school with startdate of year+1.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.