A paper A has been published recently with a big publisher. The article is available as early access, but it is still in press, i.e. not yet assigned to a volume. In that paper, our paper B was cited, however, the reference in text and in the reference list is written completely wrong - to the point that other researchers would have a hard time finding B, or understanding who wrote B.

I contacted the authors of A, without getting a response. Is it appropriate to contact the editor of the journal that published A, and ask him/her to correct the mistake? What other action should be taken, if any?

  • 1
    Most journals automatically add doi links at least to recent references, and then take the opportunity to automatically compare to a database. The typesetters then send you nice comments in the galleys that you should check this or that reference because it's ambiguous. I thought that was standard today ...
    – Karl
    Jan 31 '18 at 22:42

Definitely yes. It's in your best business to have your work cited properly so that it can be disseminated in the community, and the editor's/publisher's responsibility is to provide texts of highest possible quality. Even if they say (some journals indeed do this) that they are not responsible for authors' mistakes, it's a situation where the journal might gain a reputation of one that doesn't care about the quality of its content (so people won't take the research published there seriously), makes poor editting and is sloppy. That's exactly what I thought when trying to find a cited paper with completely messed up metrics (and couldn't, eventually; also the authors didn't respond to my e-mails). So in fact the editor should be grateful for pointing out such a mistake as you're partly doing their job - and for free, even!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.