I've applied to several programs at several different graduate schools, and if shortlisted for interview, I expect to receive invitations by the end of January and most of them hold their visit and interview event on just two weekends in Feb. I already received an invitation, but the date will have a conflict if I receive an invitation from a few schools that I actually prefer over this one. I expect to hear from those school over the next week, but I don't know if it is ok to keep them waiting for my response to interview invitation. Is this ok to respond for making arrangements a few days after receiving the invitation?

Note 1 - The event is a 2-day event, so it is not just a short interview with me, so I am worried they might not be able to rearrange a different date only for me.

Note 2 - I have already read this and this, but my question is different! It is about whether I should keep the first one waiting to avoid a potential conflict with the interview for a preferred program.

  • Possible duplicate : academia.stackexchange.com/q/15019/72855 – Solar Mike Jan 21 '18 at 21:23
  • @SolarMike As it is written in Note 2 (one of those "this"' is the same as the link you have given), it is not a duplicate, and for the reason I've given in Note 2. – nra Jan 21 '18 at 23:29
  • The question of keeping either waiting is germane to the question and is covered in the linked question ie you want to make a decision of keeping one waiting... – Solar Mike Jan 21 '18 at 23:31
  • @SolarMike In the linked question, the person has told the school that she/he is going, but then received another invitation with an overlap, and the one she/he had made arrangements with, was the preferred one. In my question, I am asking if I should just wait without responding to the only invitation I have so far, to see if I will be invited to the one I prefer. There are two differences: 1. I do not have two conflicting invitations at the moment, but considering not responding 2. If I do respond, then in case of a conflict I'd have to rearrange the interview with the school I prefer. – nra Jan 22 '18 at 2:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.