It's not clear to me, looking over all the various regulations and requirements, how (or even if) it is possible for students holding a four-year or five-year bachelor's degree from the US can work at a university as a part-time or full-time researcher. Is this possible? If so, are there specific programs to help set this up? Does it matter which EU country the institution is located? Is there a specific type of visa involved?

(Effectively, I guess this question could be boiled down to: what is the equivalent EU mechanism for a J-1 visa, when the student will be engaged in research rather than coursework?)

  • Not US, but Canada (hopefully, close enough). The UBC in Vancouver maintains an exchange program with the MPI-FKF in Germany, where they send some of the BSc candidates for an 8 month internship to Germany. There they do some of the research work (not course work), that a PhD student typically does. I can say from our experience, that we would be very happy to see many of them return for a master's or a PhD, once they acquire their bachelor's.
    – LLlAMnYP
    Apr 20, 2016 at 12:33

2 Answers 2


I think there are two parts in your question: can someone with a Bachelor from the US get a job from a university or research lab, and what kind of visa such a person would need. For the first question, it's really depending on the university. As for the visa, it depends if it would be for a PhD student, or for a "regular" researcher (i.e. not a student). However, in both cases, the visa application depends on the country, as far as I know, there is no Schengen Research Visa. For instance, for France, there are two types of Visa the person could apply to (Visa section of the french consulate in Washington)

  • The “Skills and Talent” Card visa (Carte Compétences & Talents). However, for this one, they say:

    University graduates should be PhD. Lower graduates will be required to add proof of profesionnal experience in the same field for a minimum of 1 to 3 years (the lower the degree, the longer profesionnal experience expected)

  • Visas for professors and researchers holders of a "convention d’accueil". According to this site (in French, I couldn't find an English version), a "convention d'accueil" would basically be the work contract with the university/lab, and the eligibility requirement seems to be a Master degree or equivalent (but it could be the case that a 5-years US Bachelor degree counts as an equivalent to a 5-year French Master degree). As far as I understand, that would be the best option for someone who wants to do her PhD in France.

It would also be possible to apply for a student visa, but I think it's not possible to get a work contract with such a visa. Another solution could be to apply to a:

So, to sum it up, I don't think there is a unified process to apply for a visa in Europe as a researcher, and each country has its own rules. Note that these visas are not automatically Schengen visa, and I've known the case of some extra-EU students, who obtained a visa in one Schengen country, and were not allowed to travel in other Schengen countries before becoming officially resident of the country.

  • Chercheur invité. I stayed in France, during my phd, using a convention d'accueil, as a hired research assistant. As I'm in the process of a J1 now, I'd say it is pretty much the same thing, national differences aside. Apr 20, 2016 at 11:25

It is possible to work as a researcher in a European University with only a bachelor's degree. In many fields, jobs as a research assistant would be pretty accessible to someone with this level of education, if your degree is in a relevant field or you have relevant experience. You might be able to get a slightly higher level of position if you have a good CV, and there is opportunity for advancement. However, ultimately it is very hard to advance into higher level academic positions without a PhD. This only happens in exceptional circumstances.

However, practically speaking this will be very difficult for someone without the right to work in the EU, such as a U.S. citizen. While getting such a job is technically possible (and varies by country), typically it involves the institution sponsoring you. This involves a lot of effort on their part, and most likely will only happen for higher-level positions. Also there may be barriers (such as salary level and education level requirements) that prevent you from getting a visa in certain countries, as well. For example, in the UK you would have to make at least £35,000 or have a PhD level job to get the relevant visa. In short, unless you have some unique, in-demand skills, this is unlikely to be a real option.

If you want to work as a researcher in Europe, consider studying for a higher degree in Europe. The barrier to entry is much lower for this; visas can be obtained relatively easily, and institutions provide a lot of support to help you. This need not be a PhD, you could just do a one year masters' degree. Depending on the country, you may be able to work while studying on a student visa. You also may have an easier path to transition to a work visa. In any case, the connections you make, and the additional education you get, should help.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .