Academia Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for academics and those enrolled in higher education. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have graduated from a Masters program recently. After graduating, my Masters thesis supervisor and myself decided to write a paper based on my dissertation. I have a question about the format in which my name should appear in the paper, given that I am now an ex-student of the university. Is something like below acceptable?

John Doe, MS in XYZ, University of ABC, Current Residential Address,

Do I need to remove/add anything?

share|improve this question
Wouldn't you be called a Masters graduate or something similar? – amanda witt Feb 2 '13 at 10:05
up vote 18 down vote accepted

For a definitive answer: check issues of the journal you will submit to, see what they do. If you still have doubts: contact the editor (I would wait until after acceptance of the paper, because it's not such a big deal).

My take on it:

  • First, it's very rare to mention the diplomas hold by the authors. Even the titles (Dr, Prof, etc.) are often not listed at all. The exceptions seem to be (at least in my field) some journals edited by German societies, academies or publishers (Angewandte Chemie lists all titles, for example, in a footnote along with full affiliations). So, I'd remove the “MS in XYZ”.

  • Secondly, your main affiliation is the institution where you carried out your work (or most of it). This means, list “University of Nowhere, Department of Procrastination” as your main affiliation.

  • Thirdly, you can indicate your “current address” in the author list. Depending on journal style, it might be a footnote or listed as other affiliations. It will start with: “Current address: University of Big Name, Department of Corrections”. But… given that you don't have a new institutional address, I would advise you to skip it altogether. Simply don't list your home address in the paper, it's not really useful for readers. If they want to contact you, they will use email anyway.

  • Finally: if your former university didn't provide an email address that will last, using your gmail address is perfectly fine.

I hope this covers it!

share|improve this answer
This helps ! Thanks. – suhridk Feb 2 '13 at 10:39
@fx +1 for “University of Nowhere, Department of Procrastination” – blackace Feb 2 '13 at 10:56

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.