Academia Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for academics and those enrolled in higher education. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am wondering where I could find global statistics on the flow of students between countries. This would include numbers such as "how many students with US bachelor went to UK for a master" and "how many Spanish master students went to US for a PhD"

They always say that the academic world outside US suffers from brain drain towards the US, i want to find way to quantify this

share|improve this question
up vote 8 down vote accepted

I don't have the statistics at hand for the case of students. But there was recently a publication of mobility statistics for scientists on 16 countries:

The report is here

The IEEE also made an infochart that was a bit more explicit using some of the data in the report.

share|improve this answer
The IEEE graph is really cool! Thanks for sharing that. – Zenon Jan 25 '13 at 10:20

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.