I have a nightmare adviser, who is also the head of the Department. The problems are:
- he has too many students,
- never reads my chapters,
- he is trying his best to sabotage TA or RA opportunities that are my only source of funding,
- he discourages me from attending conferences, and
- refuses to introduce me to anyone in his network.
The worst thing is that I am an international student in the social sciences in Germany where professors have too much power, and there is no system of redress.
I have a second supervisor from another university, but he does not want to get involved as he is not the primary adviser.
I am three years into the program and have a nearly completed thesis. Without his comments on my chapters, I fear that I will end up with a lower grade (PhDs are graded here) which marks an end to my academic career. I was the top student in the Masters program and that is why I was offered a fully funded PhD. My adviser was very happy with me until I spoke to him about trying for a job in Germany or in Europe. Since then he is distant because I think he expected me to go back to my Third World country and create links for him.
- What can I do?
- Should I drop this PhD and apply for another one in the US or Canada? (I am not sure he will give me a recommendation)
- Should I complete this PhD in a multi-disciplinary field (Global Studies/Global Integration) and start another one in a related discipline such as Political Science or Geography or another traditional discipline, in Canada or the US?
- Should I apply for post docs and hope he will give me a recommendation?
Any other ideas. Please help. I am severely depressed.