Take the 2-minute tour ×
Academia Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for academics and those enrolled in higher education. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How much of the teaching content at universities in the US is delivered in imperial units instead of SI?

I imagine that industry (e.g. Engineering) is still stuck using imperial units, but research and physics are much better suited to SI units, so I am interested to know how this is dealt with.

share|improve this question
I think a good part of Europe is still stuck with CGS, too. –  Federico Poloni Mar 27 at 14:00
In some universities in the UK they still use imperial units in some subjects, specially in first year Physics. CGS depends more on the fields, like extragalactic astophysics or quantum field theory. –  Davidmh Mar 27 at 14:20
Very interesting... in Australia anything other than SI units is practically unheard of –  Eksze Mar 27 at 14:24
Let me paraphrase real life: if you're a mechanical engineer in the U.S. and have no idea what ft-lb, kips or ksi are, you're in for a world of hurt. –  Kuba Ober Mar 28 at 0:20

2 Answers 2

up vote 7 down vote accepted

When I was an (engineering, US) undergrad, the textbook in one engineering mechanics class included problems using SI units and problems using imperial units. The problem sets for homework and exams came from the book, and could be in either SI or imperial units.

(You can see these examples in a sample chapter).

Every other class I've taken as a physics and engineering student used SI units exclusively.

share|improve this answer

At the US community college where I teach physics, SI is used exclusively in all science courses. (Chem courses do still use calories, which are not SI.) Nearly all physics textbooks use SI exclusively, although a few may mix in examples using feet and pounds here and there.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.