Academia Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for academics and those enrolled in higher education. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I notice that perhaps most US graduate programs require non-native English speakers to get a certain mark on the TOEFL. Is this requirement typically waived for students who completed their bachelors degree in the US before applying to a masters program in another school also in the US?

share|improve this question
Yes it is typically waived for students who did their undergraduate in the US – vsingh Mar 26 '14 at 15:22
Could be university specific. check with universities. – drN Mar 26 '14 at 16:39

I was in this position - as an international student applying to US graduate programs after being a US undergraduate. I contacted the graduate programs I was applying to to ask if they would waive the TOEFL requirement, and they all did (i.e. I didn't have to retake it). I heard recently that the requirement for a waiver (for my current university at least) is for an applicant to have been at a US university for four years.

My backup plan if the graduate programs had seemed unsure about a waiver was to call someone on the phone and essentially demonstrate that I am fluent in English.

(The TOEFL is expensive!)

share|improve this answer
Yet, it may take some doing to convince them. I know of a case of a eastern Europe citizen that did high school and bachelor, and was speaking with perfect Engish with the admission office, and they were still reluctant (but they accepted at the end). – Davidmh Mar 26 '14 at 16:01

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.